Candidate for Carlisle Area School District
Originally from East Tennessee, Carlisle has been home since 2005 when I moved here with my husband, Matt and our three children. I graduated from Carson Newman University in 1996 with a degree in Communication Arts but more recently have devoted myself to being a mom and volunteering at school, church, and in youth sports activities. I also owned Ethos Fitness Studio in Carlisle for 9 years, and now work as a fitness instructor at Simply Yoga and Fitness.
I currently have two children in Carlisle High School. By being involved and engaged in my children’s education, I have concerns about the dismissive attitude the current Board projects toward parents.
As a Carlisle School Board member,
Heather Leatherman plans to:
- Give parents and families a larger voice in school district issues.
- Focus on core education and making sure our students have a solid foundation leading to better overall test scores.
- Recruit and retain teachers; examine the overall teacher to administrator ratio.
- Stand for fiscal responsibility by making sure that we are being responsible and transparent about how taxpayer money is being spent.
- Find ways to overcome learning deficits caused by the Covid shutdowns and policies.
- Make sure that political opinions and social justice and sexual identity politics are not being taught in our classrooms. Curriculum transparency is crucial; students deserve quality time-tested materials, not trendy philosophies.
Public education is often the only option for parents and it should be a competitive option. The best public education should embrace the partnership with parents, recognize the need to see the students succeed (or else they will go elsewhere), and establish a learning atmosphere that inspires both teachers and students. The parents and taxpayers deserve nothing less.